Monday, January 3, 2011

The Phoenicians: Mysterious Sea People by Katherine Reece

You're not going to believe this (OK, so you will), but there aren't a whole lot of books out there for young children on Ancient Phoenicia.  Do you still call it ancient if it no longer exists?   Hmmm. . . .

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.  Bright pictures, large font, and fairly interesting text (I did a lot of summarizing quickly in this one, though), make it an interesting addition.  I think it went over pretty well, but we did kind of rush through it a bit. 

Note of caution: there is a brief section human sacrifice of children.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Veronica, I follow your threads at SL. I'm sure you've never been told this but, "you are my hero". LOL! I just answered your question about what Altlases others use.

    "Anyway, back to the matter at hand", lol ;).
    I went to public school all my life, I can't remember ever being taught The Phoenicians.

    I'm researching it for my dd and myself. Keep writing to us all!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone's reading all this. :)

    I remember learning about them, but the only thing we actually learned was that the phoenicians "invented" phonics. Which,to a young child, is a pretty good reason to dislike them. Assuming you've seen the rediculous things they wanted us to do in my phonics workbook.

    ReplyDelete